HP3582A

This is where we talk about testing, measuring and repairing things. Sometimes we have to repair the equipment we use to test, measure and repair other things. It's an endless cycle of fixing the broken things we need to fix other broken things.
Gold

HP3582A

Post by Gold »

I bought an HP3582A many years ago as I was just getting started building my console. I didn't have enough experience to use it when I got it. It has been sitting on a shelf ever since. I'm doing a spring cleaning and selling stuff I don't need and will never use.

The input section looks like it needs calibration or repair as the overload light comes on at power up. I'm wondering if I should put the time in to repairing it and learning it? Does anyone have any experience with this unit? Besides button per function which I love, does it offer any advantages to a sound card/REW setup? These still go for a decent amount of money on the bay. I'm wondering if I should sell it or try to use it?
Radardoug

Re: HP3582A

Post by Radardoug »

It looks like a pretty cool box, probably worth investing some time in it. I have a few HP boxes that I have bought in non working condition, and got them going. I have a high resistance meter which is great for testing mike capsules and other high impedance stuff. It had a broken switch shaft on the range switch, that was the only fault. You will need the manual though.
Audio1Man

Post by Audio1Man »

The HP3582A was a great instrument years ago, however with 25kHz BW and 70dB dynamic range almost any Sound Card will be a better instrument for today's jobs and much smaller.
Gold

Post by Gold »

Seems like I should probably sell it. Since it is good with very low frequencies I thought it might be useful for looking at turntable rumble and tape machine flutter. Those are more curiosities than anything else. I’m not planning on designing turntables or tape machines. I suppose it would be good for checking out currently available roller bearings. Practically it seems like an ear or a stethoscope is close enough.