Gentle persuasion over time

Relax in southern comfort on the east bank of the Mississippi. You're just around the corner from Beale Street and Sun Records. Watch the ducks, throw back a few and tell us what's on your mind.
mediatechnology

Re: Gentle persuasion over time

Post by mediatechnology »

I could pour the "trub", left over remnants after cooking a batch of beer on it. The trub has some malt (sugar) left in it.. I typically pour it over my compost heap... The tree slugs et al will like it better than the compost worms do.
Fermented is even better than sugar.

I was wondering if it were once a pecan tree with a long vertical tap root.
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:20 am
I could pour the "trub", left over remnants after cooking a batch of beer on it. The trub has some malt (sugar) left in it.. I typically pour it over my compost heap... The tree slugs et al will like it better than the compost worms do.
Fermented is even better than sugar.
Not sure I understand that... sugar is food for many living things, fermented sugar is fun for animals... :lol:
I was wondering if it were once a pecan tree with a long vertical tap root.
I have lots of pecan trees on my property including a serious trunk/root removal exercise when I lost a big one a couple summers ago. In my judgement pecan trees need lots of water and nutrients so grow massive root systems more laterally than vertically... Advice about fertilizing pecan trees suggest that the roots extend all the way out to the drop line, where water falls from longest branches when it rains.

The big cottonwood I lost during Katrina had roots that went both deep and wide, but not deep or wide enough. :lol: The current dead tree might be a cottonwood( I still need to ask my neighbor who knows trees?),

[edit I asked him and he thinks maybe a sweet gum... /edit]

but may have been light starved for decades because not much normal lower branch growth. It may have invested its growth energy in getting tall enough to get some sunlight.

I will try discarding the beer making trub on it and be more patient. it is rotting already, so could come down in a good storm.

JR
Last edited by JR. on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cancel the "cancel culture", do not support mob hatred.
mediatechnology

Post by mediatechnology »

I remember the small pecan tree I bought once from the nursery.
The tap root was longer than the tree was tall.
I think almost all trees have roots extending to the drip line.

Fermented sugar has more life.
terkio

Post by terkio »

About pecan tree and tap root, I found this:
https://www.robertkourik.com/taproot-tidbit.html
JR.

Post by JR. »

terkio wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:39 pm About pecan tree and tap root, I found this:
https://www.robertkourik.com/taproot-tidbit.html
Indeed I found a number of sinker roots under the pecan stump I struggled with. After clearing the obvious lateral feeder roots, I found others beneath them. For a tree that literally fell down that stump was really hard to remove. :lol:

JR
JR.

Post by JR. »

mediatechnology wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:49 pm

Fermented sugar has more life.
Fermented sugar is no longer sugar, it typically gets converted into alcohol. The trub still has some real unfermented sugar in it.

Wild animals have been known to eat fermented (rotted) fruit for the buzz... :lol:

JR

PS: At the moment I am fermenting some apple cider to make Hard cider... I have to use pasteurized but without preservatives that might kill the yeast.
JR.

Post by JR. »

So far today I dosed my tree with dregs from the hard cider I'm making (so fermented sugars.. :lol: ), trub from todays batch of beer, (unfermented sugar), and for icing on the cake I found a dead piece of wood on the ground with a bunch of termite larvae all over it.

I tried to carefully transfer the termites to the tree... but I will wait a few days to see if they settle in. 8-)

JR
terkio

Post by terkio »

You must train the termites to feed on the right side of the tree.
JR.

Post by JR. »

terkio wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:11 pm You must train the termites to feed on the right side of the tree.
I put them on the correct side of the tree, inside a crack... time will tell if they party down.

JR
billshurv

Post by billshurv »

The termite whisperer...